Sunday, November 3, 2013

Persuasive Essay Topics

  • Topic # 1: The first topic that I had in mind was trying to persuade a reader why one of the most famous cases in American history, Roe v. Wade, should be overturned by the Supreme Court.  I personally believe abortion should be illegal, so I know a lot about the topic.  I have  done some research in the past about this.  That decision was made based on right of privacy for women.  Many people today, sometimes known as the pro-life generation, believe that is no longer the case.  They believe that life starts at the moment of conception, so the mother doesn't have the right to decide if a person (her baby) lives or dies. One interesting fact about about this case is that the woman who sued to have the right to get an abortion, some years later, said she was pro-life.  She admitted that she made a mistake.  I think this topic would definitely pass the so-what test. I also know that I have to be careful not to interject my opinion too much and stay informative yet persuasive.
  • Topic # 2: The second topic that I was thinking about writing about was why we should go back to the conventional way of dating.  I know many people make the remark of why people don't ask the girl's father for permission before they go out, or even ask the girl out in person and not by texting. Have people's social skills completely gone out the window?  People, teens especially, were more respectful back then.  I'd also talk about the positive aspects that came from dating the conventional way of "back then." I think that this essay would pass the so-what test with teenagers and would make parents think about this issue too.

1 comment:

  1. Abortion is certainly a hot topic to discuss, and you'd find a plethora of information about that particular topic.

    The second one is intriguing. I'm not sure what kind of information you can find, but it would make for an interesting paper!

    10/10

    ReplyDelete